Newcastle Station Clock

Newcastle Station Clock

Sunday 8 December 2013

Excrement Utopia

After an 18 month absence, it's time to welcome back one of my favourite mini-series; yes, it's the return of "small conceptual projects that are poorly thought through and even more poorly explained"!

This time it will be the lambasting of a scheme by Milo Ayden De Luca to provide temporary shelter for homeless people mounted on streetlights named Excrescent Utopia. This is something of a first for the series: previous projects have centred around masturbatory self-inspiration and inept interpretation, or bourguois £400 a night camping holidays. As the first project with a genuine aim to help those in need, I had best make sure that my criticisms are both warranted and comprehensive.



With that in mind, we'll start with the title, shall we? I can't promise to keep this rate up, but just considering the two word title, I already have two objections. Number 1: 'Excrescent' means an abnormal growth on something. In fact, one dictionary definition has it as "an unattractive or superfluous addition or feature". Correct me if I'm wrong, but any noble solution to a social problem should probably refrain from implying that it is 'abnormal', 'unattractive', and CERTAINLY NOT superfluous.

No comments:

Post a Comment